There’s no need to play with grilled haloumi too much, but the light crunch of zucchini, a squeeze of lemon, some fresh mint and good-quality olive oil really make it shine.
- 450 gm haloumi, cut into cubes
- 4 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways on a mandoline
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 40 gm (¼ cup) roasted pine nuts
- 2 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp dried mint
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1For mint oil, combine oil, garlic and dried mint in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until fragrant (1-2 minutes). Cool and stir through fresh mint before serving.
- 2Preheat a barbecue to high. Thread zucchini onto skewers, alternating with haloumi. Brush with oil and grill, turning occasionally, until charred and haloumi is hot (2-3 minutes).
- 3Transfer skewers to a platter. Pour over mint dressing, scatter with pine nuts and sesame seeds, squeeze over lemon and serve.